Annual Alumni Week 2024
Initial Annual Alumni Week Information
We know many of you have been eagerly awaiting more information about Annual Alumni Week in Limerick! We are excited to share this overview with you, and we will be putting even more detailed information under “Annual Alumni Week” in our site’s navigation. Please be patient while we put the final touches on that, and have a look at what we have shared with you here.
The inaugural Annual Alumni Week will take place in Ireland, in the city of Limerick, from August 5th-11th with optional pre- and post- activities. The event will be based at the University of Limerick. The schedule will allow time, as alumni have requested, to be together with your friends rather than dash from one activity to another. We urge you to discuss the options with your cast/crew and create YOUR experience with as many extras as you would like to include.
There will be golf days offered on August 4th and 11th. Monday, August 5th will offer walking tours of Limerick City, and a welcome reception and Irish evening.
Tuesday through Friday will offer daily activities for all registrants, such as discussions and presentations. There will be optional day tours, and cast/crew photos will be taken. We will have community interaction in the local area, a “Celebration of Life” for those no longer with us, Irish dance and music workshops, and other cultural opportunities.
We will also experience our Eras’ evening performances and awards will be presented. You will want to bring your best ‘60s outfit for the ‘60s Disco, and come ready to boogie with the UWP Survival Band!!
Some meals will be included in your registration. For example, there will be an Era lunch on one day and an Era dinner another evening. For meals not included in registration, the Events Team is happy to help coordinate lunch or dinner together, as we have negotiated good group rates locally.
- Deadlines are earlier than you are familiar with from reunions of the past—please WATCH carefully and plan accordingly!
- We are excited to announce that we have group housing opportunities on campus. For onsite campus accommodation, you pay when you book (take note of their cancellation policies) and you must book by February 14th, 2024. We URGE you all to start communicating with your cast/crew and alumni friends regarding the shared accommodation options.
- On campus, there are 4 or 6 bed housing units that include a kitchen and sitting area, which are ideal for alumni or families who would like to stay together. Each room has a European double bed, which is similar to a full-size bed in the U.S., and is ensuite (has its own bathroom and shower).
- There are also two hotels being recommended, with one being in walking distance.
- Please stay at one of the three accommodations we have sourced for you.
- All three of the recommended housing options have breakfast included in the rate.
- Shannon Airport is the closest and recommended airport—we will have a shuttle option you can book directly with the UWPIAA. It is about 25 minutes transfer to the university campus.
- Dublin Airport has several shuttles, however, there is one that we will recommend and share with you, as it comes directly to the university campus. It is about a 2.5 hour transfer.
- Travel insurance is highly recommended for international travel.
- Remember if travelling from North America, you may land a day later than your departure.
- Check to see if you will need a visa and let us know if you need assistance with your application.
- You will NOT need a rental car and we do not advise having one for days you are on campus.
- The UWPIAA Journey On… Travel Programme will be exploring Edinburgh and London from August 11th-16th. You can enjoy five nights in first class accommodations, a licensed guide, private tours and an optional West End Theatre performance and some uniquely UWP experiences courtesy of the Travel Team.
- An optional study group, on the “Anatomy of Peace” by the Global Impact Team, will take an in-depth look into the peace process in Northern Ireland. This will be available to a small group only, and is planned for August 1st-4th.
- The Events Team is willing to support what your cast/crew wants to do! In addition to helping to arrange lunches and dinners, they can also assist with private tours and activities! If you are making plans, please communicate with our team. It helps if we are aware, and we have many special discounts, suggestions, and information to aid in your planning.
Please Note: Optional activities can only proceed if we meet the required minimum numbers of participants. There will be April deadlines for these activities, so get your friends to sign up with you as soon as they are available.
Registration will open in October 2023 with complete pricing information. There will be a child registration option that mirrors the adult registration. The Xperience K and Xperience T programmes are separate , as described below, and in greater detail on the main web page.
Casts K and T Are Changing in 2024
In response to not only the 2019 alumni survey, but with thanks to Cast K and T participants and parents from 2022 and 2023 for their input, Xperience K and Xperience T have been created!
This will be a more in-depth programme for both age groups that runs during Annual Alumni Week 2024, and we are delighted to be able to announce that Walter Belcher (’89C), and a very talented international team will be leading these Xperiences.
The Xperience K and Xperience T programmes will run from August 5th – 10th, inclusive, and launch with a Family Day and Orientation on the 5th. Spaces will be limited. You will need to check in on the 4th or very early on the 5th. One parent per K / T participant may attend the day’s activities at a medieval castle on the 5th. A second parent or guardian may register separately for this special day.
We are excited to offer this robust programme with daily workshops and discussions, a community activity in Limerick City, daily dance and vocal workshops, cultural immersion and a performance night that gives participants a large role in the final night on stage. Lunch and snacks will be provided daily. The last day will begin with reflection time and then move on to an action-packed day on the shores of Lough Derg for a variety of activities at the university’s activity center. We look forward to this week of getting to know one another—and Ireland!
- There will be a Cast/Crew Liaison on the Annual Alumni Week Volunteer Team in place shortly. You may invite them to your cast/crew chats to answer questions and provide information.
- Information Sessions will be held monthly—please watch for posts in the Facebook group and the event as well as in the reunion WhatsApp group.
We will still have opportunities to reconnect, and the amazing moments of reunions past will be part of Annual Alumni Week! They will appear in a new or different way on the longer schedule. We look forward to seeing you in Limerick!!